246: The Power of Mentors
Remember the scene in The Karate Kid when Mr. Miyagi makes Daniel wax-on and wax-off for hours? Everyone who watched the movie probably thought: why is he making Daniel do this?
Because Mr. Miyagi saw potential in Daniel and knew where he could go with hard work, dedication, and direction.
If you’re a manager, leader or coach, you’ve probably had your own mentor or two down the road. The thing about mentors is that their impact turns into a legacy. When you teach someone a lesson they find valuable, they’re likely to pass it onto others who then pass it onto others.
Annie Spewak is back on the No BS Marketing Show for the third time (she’s catching up to some of the No BS Greatest: Carter and T-Rod). Dave and Annie talk about mentors who have helped shape them into the people and professionals they are today. Since it is Dave and Annie after all, they tell stories about coaching and how they had to shift their focus from sports to what really matters.
If you’ve ever felt behind on work or like the piles of To Do’s are adding up, you’ll walk away from this episode with a valuable lesson on how to balance your time and get your projects back on track. What are you waiting for?
*We apologize for the quality of the audio, but it was WAY too hot to record without the AC on. Cut us some slack!*
[01:43] So What Really Matters?
- Results, not pedigree
- Read more in our blog here
[11:20] Annie’s Mentors
- John Locke: find a mentor. Ask them to be your mentor.
- Dr. Ann Jabro
- Dave Mastovich, he doesn’t have a choice!
- One thing in common: mentors make you work hard
- Mentors do not have a book of answers
[14:03] When a Leader Sees Potential
- Push your best players and employees harder because you see value in them
- They’re on you because they care about you
[15:55] Dave’s 3-5 Hour Trick
- Sports are cool, sports are fun. They’re not your life.
- How to spend only a few more hours to get your work back on track
[18:37] Annie’s Shift in Focus
- From sports to self
- What do I want to do?
- Taking time to focus on what you want to do and what you need to do
- Life happens
[01:43] Using the 3-5 Hour Trick Correctly
- When you get behind
- Understand that this isn’t forever
- It’s not working more, it’s getting your balance back
[21:10] A Mentor’s Legacy
- The impact goes beyond you
- When you impact someone, they impact people
[22:02] The MASSolutions Team
- No Slackers!
- Hungry, passionate
- Everybody works hard, together and for each other
Are you signed up for the No BS Marketing weekly update? You’ll receive timely, valuable ideas to improve your marketing and transform your message. It’s light, intended to be read in 2 minutes or less and it just might trigger bright ideas for you. To sign up, visit: massolutions.biz.
Remember, ask yourself: What’s The Big Idea and build your story around the answer. It’s all about Bold Solutions, no BS.